Open selected Sundays of the month
11am to 4pm Info, Prices & Map

Heritage Railway with Train Rides.

Silver Stream Railway is a working heritage railway  located on Reynolds Bach Dr in Upper Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand and is open for train rides on the 1st and 3rd Sundays for most of the year except June, July, August and December when the railway is open on the first Sunday of these months. In addition the railway is open on selected public holiday Mondays from 11am to 4pm. The railway provides entertainment for all the family and is one of Upper Hutt's biggest attractions.

Our next operating days are the 1st and 15th of November subject to NZ being in Covid-19 Alert Level 1.


Silver Stream Railway's mission is to restore and preserve heritage railway memorabilia - in particular items that relate to the Wellington region.


Silver Stream Railway (named after the silver coloured stream {Hull's Creek} that runs beside the railway) is a heritage railway near the suburb of Silverstream in the Hutt Valley 30km from Wellington, New Zealand. It regularly operates former New Zealand Goverment Railway and ex industrial steam and diesel locomotives along a restored section of the Wellington to Upper Hutt railway that was bypassed in 1954.


The beginnings of Silver Stream Railway were in 1967 when the Wellington branch of the New Zealand Railway and Locomotive Society (which changed is name to Silver Stream Railway Incorporated in 1983) began a collection of locomotives and rolling stock. Tracklaying on the old formation of the Hutt Valley Line did not begin until 1977. The collection of locomotives and rolling stock had previously been stored at a site by the Gracefield Branch in Seaview, and this was transferred to the present Silverstream site in 1984. The official opening of the full 1.5 kilometre track took place on 15 February 1986.

Follow Us!

  Follow us on Twitter - SSRailway