Wagons

Xa2070

Built in 1934 at Addington workshops in Christchurch Xa2070 is a ventilated box wagon that were used for carrying fruit and other perishable goods. It was written off in 1977, and somehow escaped being scrapped, and came to be part of the collection of rolling stock assembled at Ngongotaha near Rotorua, owned by the Rotorua Ngongotaha Rail Trust. It was made available to Silver Stream Railway in 2017, and after fundraising for the purchase and transport it arrived at SSR on the 13th of February 2018.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored
M1573

This wagon started life as a low side ballast wagon with the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company as BM1. When the WMR was taken over by the NZR it became M1573 and later E1143. In later life it carried a 2 ton capacity hand crane #263, likely last based at Eastown before it was written off. It made its way to Hutt workshops and was used their as a place to store parts of locomotives that were being overhauled. It was purchased by SSR in 1982 and moved there by road. It was never used except for storing spare Standard railcar motors. It was finally moved undercover in 2017.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored
Jc5502

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
Yd1034

Yd1034 was built in the USA by the Differential Steel Car Company and assembled at Otahuhu workshops around 1950. It if fitted with large air cylinders that use air from the train brakes to tip the wagon to enable it to discharge its load. The wagons were used for carting large rocks, ballast or fill for track maintenance work. 1034 was withdrawn from service in the early 2000's and obtained by SSR around 2003. It is used regularly on work trains.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service

La18921 is a highside wagon built in 1938 at the Addigton Workshops in Christchurch and was obtained in 1979.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service

Ub1206 is a flat wagon built in 1951 at Hutt workshops. 

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service

Built in 1928 Uc826 is a Uc-3 2 compartment tank wagon used for transporting oil or petrol.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored

 La22295 ia an La-8 that was built at Otahuhu Workshops in Auckland in 1946. It came to us from Feilding and Districts Steam Rail Society where it was surplus to requirements. Thanks to the team at Feilding for making it avaliable to us and our members who contributed towards its purchase and relocation.

 

More photos of La22295 can be found here

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored
N596

11' Timber Truck wagon. N596 was built in 1890 and was once used with another similar wagon to carry long loads such as logs or rails and was fitted with a timber bolster and stanchions. Later the bolster was removed and it was used as a runner wagon. Initially preserved at the Bush Tramway Club near Huntly, 596 was moved to Silver Stream Railway in 2012 for restoration.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
E3703

E3703 started life as a wooden bodied insulated meat wagon W606 built in 1934. In 1964 it was rebuilt to its current form. That involved removing the wooden body and floor and fitting a steel tank . The wheels were also fitted with package roller bearings. In this form 3703 was mainly used for the transport of creosote from Gas Works to Sleeper treatment plants before being withdrawn in the 1990s and stored for several years at Hutt shops before being obtained by SSR in 2002. It is currently used to store fuel for Ka 935.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Operational