Under Overhaul

L509

Ten L class locos were built by the Avonside Engine Company of Bristol in England. Built in 1877 our loco (makers number 1207) entered service in Wanganui in 1878 and was initially numbered L30. Renumbered L21 in 1882 and later in 1890 became L219. The locomotive was transferred to Wellington in 1888. Here 219 was used on trains around the greater Wellington area before being sold to the Public Works Department (PWD) in 1903. The locomotive was then known as PWD 509 being used on construction work, firstly on the North Island Main Trunk line and later on the Raetihi branch line.

Type:
Steam
Status:
Under Overhaul

F139 was built at the East Town workshops in Wanganui in 1891 and is a 30ft Clerestory roof guards van. Of 13 similar vans built, 139 is now the sole survivor. The body of a similar van (that has a longer clerestory section) survives at MOTAT in Auckland.

Type:
Guards Van
Status:
Under Overhaul
C132

Our small C class locomotive was built by Dubs and Company of Glasgow in 1875, makers number 885,  the last of the class to be built and was delivered to the then isolated Greymouth Section in December of that year. At first the locomotive was not numbered but named Pounamu a common practice at the time. In 1877 it was numbered C 132 and later in 1882 renumbered C 2. When originally built it had a 0-4-0 wheel arrangement but this was changed in 1879 to a 0-4-2 after the addition of a Bissell trailing truck.

Type:
Steam
Status:
Under Overhaul