Rolling Stock

M1573

This wagon started life as a low side ballast wagon with the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company as BM1. When the WMR was taken over by the NZR it became M1573 and later E1143. In later life it carried a 2 ton capacity hand crane #263, likely last based at Eastown before it was written off. It made its way to Hutt workshops and was used their as a place to store parts of locomotives that were being overhauled. It was purchased by SSR in 1982 and moved there by road. It was never used except for storing spare Standard railcar motors. It was finally moved undercover in 2017.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored
Jc5502

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
Yd1034

Yd1034 was built in the USA by the Differential Steel Car Company and assembled at Otahuhu workshops around 1950. It if fitted with large air cylinders that use air from the train brakes to tip the wagon to enable it to discharge its load. The wagons were used for carting large rocks, ballast or fill for track maintenance work. 1034 was withdrawn from service in the early 2000's and obtained by SSR around 2003. It is used regularly on work trains.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service

F139 was built at the East Town workshops in Wanganui in 1891 and is a 30ft Clerestory roof guards van. Of 13 similar vans built, 139 is now the sole survivor. The body of a similar van (that has a longer clerestory section) survives at MOTAT in Auckland.

Type:
Guards Van
Status:
Under Overhaul
Af941

Af941 was built in the Petone workshops in Wellington in 1906 the first in a group of 5 60' carvans. It had seating in two compartments for 72 passengers and a large guards compartment at one end and had a closed in balcony on the other end. 941 was  originally used between Wellington and Upper Hutt behind a small D class locomotive as a fore runner to the self propelled railcar. Of all the carriages in the SSR collection this is the most historically important to the Hutt Valley. Af941 was based in Wellington all its life.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
Awaiting Overhaul

F678 was built at the Addington Workshops in Christchurch in 1955 and is a 30' steel clad guards van. It is currently on lease from Feilding and District Steam Rail Society and arrived at Silver Stream Railway in October 2013. It is used on our passenger trains on operating days.

Type:
Guards Van
Status:
In Service

La18921 is a highside wagon built in 1938 at the Addigton Workshops in Christchurch and was obtained in 1979.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service

Ub1206 is a flat wagon built in 1951 at Hutt workshops. 

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service

Built in 1928 Uc826 is a Uc-3 2 compartment tank wagon used for transporting oil or petrol.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored

 La22295 ia an La-8 that was built at Otahuhu Workshops in Auckland in 1946. It came to us from Feilding and Districts Steam Rail Society where it was surplus to requirements. Thanks to the team at Feilding for making it avaliable to us and our members who contributed towards its purchase and relocation.

 

More photos of La22295 can be found here

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored